Tuscan Margarita Pizza
● 300 grams or 2 ½ cups bread flour
● 1 package or 8 grams of rapid rise yeast
● 1 teaspoon or 5 grams granulated sugar
● 1 teaspoon or 7 grams salt
● 1 cup or 228 grams warm water, like bath water temperature
● Olive oil, for greasing the pan
Roasted Tomato Sauce
● 1 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed with your hands
● 3 garlic cloves, minced
● 3 tablespoons olive oil
● Salt, to taste
● 1 eggplant, thinly sliced
● ½ red onion, thinly sliced
● 1 tomato, thinly sliced
● Vegan mozzarella cheese
● Plant Provisions Tuscan slices
● Fresh basil, for garnish
● Red pepper, for garnish
Make your pizza dough
1. In a large bowl add bread flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and warm water and use your hand or
a wooden spoon and mix until a shaggy dough forms.
2. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and let it rest for 10 minutes, then knead it on a clean surface until it becomes elastic and smooth.
3. Grease your dirty bowl with olive oil then form the dough into a ball and place into the bowl and cover until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and flour a pizza peel or 9x13 sheet tray.
5. Gently stretch the dough to the edges of the pan until it begins to shrink back. Cover and
let it rest for 25-30 minutes. Stretch the dough back out to the edges of the pan again and then cover and let it rest for 40 minutes while you prepare your other ingredients and preheat the oven to 500F.
Cook your vegetables.
1. To a pan with high sides, add 2 TBSP of olive oil. Put over medium-high heat and fry eggplant slices for about 4 minutes on each side, until browned. Set aside.
2. Cook red onions in remaining olive oil until lightly browned and fragrant. Set aside.
Make your pizza sauce.
1. To the same pan with high sides or a pot, add whole peeled tomatoes and crush them with your hands right into the pot. Add minced garlic, olive oil, and a five finger pinch of salt. Bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is reduced by about ⅓, this will take about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool before adding it to your pizza.
*Optional: Add red pepper flakes and more salt to taste if needed.
Make the pizza!
1. Once the dough is fully rested and stretched out, gently press the dough down to release some of the large air bubbles.
2. Top the dough with a layer of tomato sauce, vegan mozzarella, and roasted veggies.
3. Bake at 500F for 12-15 minutes or until the edges begin to look nearly burnt and the cheese is bubbly.
4. Remove, then top with Tuscan slices, fresh basil, and red pepper flakes if desired