TUSCAN CAPRESE SANDWICH
● 6 cups of basil leaves
● 1⁄2 cup of pine nuts or walnuts lightly toasted
● 1⁄2 cup of olive oil
● 1 tsp of flaky sea salt
● 1 TBSP of nutritional yeast
● Juice, 1 lemon
● 2 slices of sourdough bread, lightly toasted
● Plant Provisions Tuscan Slices
● 1 large heirloom tomato, sliced
● 4 oz of fresh mozzarella cheese, optional (can use vegan!)
- Make the pesto -
In a food processor, blitz the pine nuts until finely chopped. Add the basil leaves, reserving three large leaves for final sandwich, olive oil, flaky sea salt, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice, then blend until smooth, adding extra olive oil as needed. Taste and add salt or more lemon juice if desired.
- Build your sandwich -
On one slice of the sourdough bread, spread an ample serving of pesto. Layer Plant Provisons Tuscan slices, tomato slices, mozzarella (if using), and fresh basil leaves, then top with second sourdough slice. Cut in half, then serve and enjoy!