MESQUITE BBQ "JERK" SANDWICHES
● 4 Scotch bonnet peppers (use 1 red bell pepper instead if you can’t stand heat!), chopped
● ½ yellow onion, chopped
● 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
● ¼ cup of distilled white vinegar
● ⅓ cup of soy sauce
● 2 TBSP of a neutral oil, such as canola oil or vegetable oil
● 2 tsp of jerk seasoning
● 4 oz of sliced cucumbers
● ¼ cup of white vinegar
● 1 tsp sea salt
● 1 TBSP sugar
● ¾ cup purple cabbage, thinly sliced
● ⅓ cup of cilantro leaves
● Lime juice, to taste
● Sesame seed buns
● Plant Provisions Mesquite BBQ slices
1. Make your jerk sauce. Combine all ingredients in a large food processor bowl, and blitz on high until smooth. Set aside (this sauce keeps for 5 days in the fridge).
2. Make your quick pickles. In a medium bowl, combine the cucumbers with the white vinegar, sea salt, and sugar. Toss to coat, then taste and adjust as needed. Set aside.
3. Make your slaw. In a small bowl, add thinly sliced cabbage, cilantro, and lime juice to taste, and salt. Massage well with your hands to break down, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
4. Make the sandwiches. Spread each bun with the jerk dressing, then layer on Plant Provisions slices and top with pickles and slaw. Enjoy with chips and a cool drink!